Saturday, February 20, 2010

The season ended fittingly...

Today was the last day of bow hunting. What an unbelievably gorgeous day it was. The sun was shining, it was in the mid 40's...just beautiful. I decided to go to the water tower for the last day. I honestly had no expectations of seeing anything, but I just wanted to enjoy the woods for one last time before turkey season. I got into the woods around 2 and found an area in the snow where there were a crossroads of tracks. A good sign. At around 4:15 I saw 4 deer up the hill from me. They were around 80 yards away. They picked around there for a bit and then walked further up the hill. At 4:30ish, I had two walk about 50 yards below me. In this twosome was a buck that was still holding horn. Although only one. He looked to be that small buck that the big buck was chasing from earlier in the year. At around 5:00, I had another doe walk below me, again around 50 yards. Then, at just around dusk, I had six does come to about 50 yards from me. They made their way from under the apartment to up the hill. They were spooky. All the deer I saw tonight, with exception of the ones up the hill, were crossing from right to left (looking up the hill). Then, just as I was about to get down from the tree, I coyote followed that same 50 yard path below me.

So ends another season. It ended fittingly because, much like the entire season, the deer were around me, just not close enough for a shot. It was a great day in the woods however. The season was great. Although I only harvested one deer early on, I had more opportunity to hunt this year than ever before. Now...on to turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment