Monday, April 25, 2016

Opening day Turkey 2016

What a great day it was!  To start with, it seems like the season started a little later than normal and so the weather was really  nice.  I was disappointed, however, that I couldn't smell the autumn olive.  In year's past it would fill the air with sweet fragrance but either way, it was great!

As usual, I had the club all to myself.  At dark I went into the blind that I had set up over the weekend.  I set up the decoy and went to the blind on the first field.  I didn't realize when setting up the blind that the ground underneath it wasn't level so I was sitting on a lump!  It was quite uncomfortable, to be honest.

Around 6:30ish, I had a hen come walking into the field from the railroad bed and as she started to walk around I had to adjust myself because it started to hurt sitting the way that I was.  That noise was enough to scare her off but she didn't run putting, just meandered away.  Soon afterwards, from the left of me, appeared a group of 5 deer.  I think they caught my scent (or heard me move) and they ran off too.

It was about 7:15ish and I was feeling like I should walk around.  Just then I heard a gobble, so I called and to my surprise, two gobbles!...from different directions.  One behind me to my left and one from, it sounded, across the property.  I called and they both answered back.  I thought "It may actually be on".  After a bit of calling back and forth, I noticed a hen coming into the field to my left. She was followed by two more hens.  I couldn't see them too well because of the brush but as they approached my decoy I saw a gobbler!  He also approached the decoy and I lined up my sights and pulled the trigger.  NOTHING HAPPENED!  My gun wouldn't shoot!  I checked the safety and it was absolutely off so it should be shooting.  I pulled the trigger again and nothing.  I decided to cycle another round into the chamber.  So slowly, and as quietly as I could, I cycled the pump on the shotgun.  I took off the safety again, lined up the shot and this time it went off.  The bird fell on the spot and the hens flew away.

What an awesome hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment