Saturday, December 19, 2009

I'm such a dope!! a.k.a. "dang snow"

Well...first Dani and I went out bird hunting. It was the first day back to birds since the deer season so we were both pretty excited. Although it was cold...about 17 degrees. We got to the spot and there were only three trucks...us, John and some other guy. Amil ended up pulling in before we got to start as well. So, we lined up and happily it wasn't crowded at all. We went through the first field with nothing, then continued on...as we got to the third field we heard a shot from the swamp and saw a bird flying to us...I shot and got the hen. We walked around for a while until we got to the side of the hill next to the lot. Tucked under some brush near the field on the right was a cockbird. I saw it first and slowly backed away until the dog could get the scent. Bacci locked on and the bird took off...I got him and headed back to the truck. A great day for birds.

Dani and then came home and got ready for going deer hunting. It was supposed to start snowing and we were hoping that we could still get the hunt in. By 1:00 it hadn't started yet so out we went. As we got to around Rockaway, it started to snow...and then the further we went, the harder the snow got. Oh yeah, I forgot my cell phone at home too. So I continued on and got to the club. After getting on our gear we went into the blind. Saw that someone else had been using it too as they left a crate and seat in it. So we sat for about an hour with the snow pouring down. To be honest, I was getting nervous. I just kept thinking of the snowy ride home and decided to leave early so I can make the trip in the light. We walked back to the truck and Dani got in. I told her that I wanted to go back to the blind with some spikes that I had brought (I forgot them on the walk in). So I went back to the blind, lo and behold there was a deer right in front of the blind!! Within the 10 minutes that we walked away!!! I knelt down quickly but the deer saw me and all I got to see of it was the butt running away. I suppose I made the right decision but it wasn't a fun one to make!!

No comments:

Post a Comment