Saturday, October 3, 2015

I'm sick....

Today is a really windy day.  I wasn't even going to go hunting but wanted to get out and into the woods.  Even if I don't see anything it will be nice and relaxing.  I decided to go to the club and sit on the ground so I don't get blown out of a tree.  I went back by 13 and tucked myself into the weeds on the side of the hill.  I certainly didn't plan on seeing anything but before I went to sit, I wanted to take a long shot into the target just to see how this bow shoots at 35 yards.  Right in the middle!  I love this bow.

So, I went to my spot at around 2:45 and settled in.  Literally, at 3:00, a doe came walking down the path.  I took out my range finder and guess what...35 yards.  I know JUST where to hold at that yardage.  She stopped to eat some of the autumn olive and I squeezed off a shot.  She went running up the hill into the real thick stuff.  I waited about a half hour and went to go find my arrow.  I couldn't see it and there was only a drop or two of blood on the ground.  What made it even more difficult to find that blood was that the ground was absolutely covered in autumn olive fruit...which are red and about the size of drops of blood.  THIS is going to be a challenge.  I followed where I think the deer went up the hill and I would find a drop here, a drop there.  Nothing significant and in some cases I was following olive drops and not blood.  I used some best guessing too.  At the end, I looked for over three hours and couldn't recover her.  I wanted to throw up about it.  I know that sometimes it happens in bow hunting but I don't think it's ever happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment