Saturday, December 22, 2007

Crunchy snow sucks!

Today was a good day, it wasn't overly crowded, it wasn't overly cold, but the snow on the ground was certainly hard to walk on. It's the kind that supports your weight for a second, then gives out...that's the kind that will throw out your back (God, I'm getting old). So...it started off by me going through the point. Bacci didn't put out anything there. We walked through the first field and Greg got a bird (I wish I could remember where he gets his, because it's Bacci's work that makes it happen most times, but I can't remember). At the end of the first field, we turned around and skirted back towards the woods on the hill. There were guys on the hill so we picked our way across trying to avoid them. We went to the other side of the hill and Bacci got birdy on the edge of the field. Greg went to the outside while I stayed on the inside. As Bacci was sniffing, I saw a bird walking down the hedgerow. Bacci caught up to it, the bird saw Greg, and it took off. I shot, and it fell...woo hoo!!

We continued picking our way up the hedgerow towards the road when we saw a cockbird flying overhead. It went to the same place that we heard the cockbird last week...we circled around and saw a bunch of guys working that way. So we decided to stick to the middle hedgerow and work our way down towards the swamp. We figured we would hear those guys push the bird out. They didn't. As we got into the swamp, I saw a bird walking along. As Bacci got on to him, he took off. It was a far shot, through a lot of trees. I shot twice and thought I missed, but he didn't fly too far so we went to kick him up again. To my surprise, Greg found him dead...I got him and didn't know it. I was shocked. That was about all the action of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment