Sunday, December 30, 2007

The last day of pheasant for 2008! :-(

It was the last day of pheasant stocking today. The weather started out cruddy, it was lightly raining and with the snow on the ground made for a very foggy start of the day. When we were lining up, it was nice though...just me, Greg, Joe, John and Jojo and Amil and Harley were in our parking lot! There was one other guy that was near us towards the river and then a few at the river. So there weren't many people...or birds! We walked in the first field and didn't push out anything, so we turned and hit the point. Someone else was just hitting the hill and they flushed a hen that came over us and Joe shot it. We worked the hill next and I think Joe got another from the hill...to be honest, I can't remember Joe's second bird. We walked the river all the way back. There was no one around... and just at the end Bacci went on rock solid point. As we approached a cockbird took off over the river while we were still some distance away, I took a shot and Greg nailed it. It was a really far shot so I was impressed. It landed across the river and it was a real pain to get to, but we did...then we worked the other side of the swamp towards the road. It was nice, never saw that side before. When we got to the road we worked the woods side of the road back. Then we crossed over and worked the roadside going back...just when we were about to give up, on the way back to the truck, right near the cars a hen took off...I barely saw her but I did see where she flew...so off we went to find her. After some time, we did manage to...when I say we, I mean Bacci, found her hunkered down on the river's edge. Another rock solid point. We approached and she rocketed off across the river...I gave her some time to cross the river because getting her out of this part of the river would have been impossible, it was like a rapids. By the time she crossed, I shot, it was too late, too far, somthing...I didn't get her. We saw where she flew and went to find her again. We backtracked across the river and to the other fields...we never did end up finding her again. All in all it was a very fun day, I was exhausted because we walked non stop for 6 hours but it was sad to have it be the end of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment