Thursday, April 29, 2010

Close, but no cigar...this is frustrating

Ok, so I started the day by the old cow pasture. I figured I would try and call the birds while they are in the roost and give them an offer they couldn't refuse and they would fly down to me instead of the other side of the river. Ah, the best laid plans... No turkeys to be heard, seen or ...well, no turkeys. I did run and gun for about three hours in the cow pasture. I did manage to see a bunny though. She hopped up to about 2 feet away and then when she realized that I was there she almost had a heart attack. So, I decided to move over to Cadillac side. Same thing...run and gun for a while but nothing. I decided that I was going to get my blind out of the woods. So, I drove from the Cadillac side over to the other part of the property. Guess what I saw!! Two birds on the horse farm next door. So I boogied over and jumped out of the truck. I made my way around the backside of the horse farm, while still on our property, and started to call. Immediately they both came back with gobbles...and they were close! Game on!! The birds kept answering me back but sounded like they were walking back and forth. Not really coming closer. I worked the birds and would sneak a bit closer and work, then get closer and work. They wouldn't come any closer...the next problem is, I was running out of time. At 11:55 I decided that they weren't coming in to me and I snuck up the hill to see why. There was a fence separating my property with the horse farm. Perhaps that's why...not sure. I'll be back at them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment