Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Turkey - lot's of talkin.

I started out the morning near Stand 4. That's where I went in last Saturday and put up my blind. It's at the bottom of the field where the birds were roosting and hanging out last year. I got there before the sun, went into the blind and just as it was getting light I let out a few soft tree calls. I didn't hear a thing but waited for about 45 minutes. I eventually popped my head out of the blind and, from behind me, I could hear gobbling. Sounded like it was coming from the old cow pasture. I got out of the blind and made a bee line for the old pasture. As I approached from the down-hill side I could hear the gobbles loud now. I belly crawled to a bush on the edge of the hill that led down to the creek bottom. I sat behind the bush and started to call. As I did, the gobbles immediately answered. GAME ON! Well, this went on for some time but the gobbles didn't move...they stayed in the same spot. So I belly crawled out and tried to make my way around to their flank to the right. Sat for a bit and called...same thing...they kept answering back but wouldn't move. Ok, so this time, back in the center and I slid down the hill on my butt, keeping the bushes between me and the gobbles. When I got down further I sat up next to a bush and started calling. Again, they answered but wouldn't come closer. This time, however, I could hear a hen with them. So she and I apparently had a conversation too. She would talk back to me...then they boys would cheer...then I would talk and they would cheer. This went on for at least an hour or so...but they wouldn't move. I have been talking to these turkeys for about 2 1/2 hours now. It was time to try something drastic. I backed out and went all the way to the left where I could get into the creek bottom without being seen. It was thick but I managed to find a spot. Again...called and they answered. It was then that I realized that they were on the other side of the river. That's why they weren't coming in...they didn't want to cross the river. This went on for a short time and then they just shut up. I waited for about a half hour or so...but nothing. I backed out and continued to work around the property but never heard or saw anything else. Well, aside from another blind, which I'll assume is Bob's. It was set up in the swamp. I'll be back at it on Thursday. This time, right to the pasture. I want to see if I can call the birds to my side of the river from the roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment