Saturday, May 7, 2011

Back at the Thunder Chickens...

I had a few hours to go at the turkeys again today.  I knew I couldn't be out long but wanted to hit the woods again.  I got set up by 5:30 in the same spot that I got the turkey last week.  After some calls and about an hour and a half it was time to move.  I went to the other side of the field and called for a bit...then across the property to the top of the hill (where I put my ground blind in two years ago).  I saw a hen on the side of the pit and when she saw me she took off.  I got to the top of the hill and called...then, not responding to my call, from the bottom of the hill I heard a gobble.  I backed out and ran down to the bottom of the hill, trying to get closer.  When I got to the bottom I heard him gobble again...he was closer but he sounded like he was on the other side of the river. I set up and called a little bit.  He came back.  I thought it was on!!  Unfortunately, he decided that he didn't like me anymore and she shut up.  I didn't hear or see him again.  I sat there for about 45 minutes and I was just about to get up and I heard gobbling from up the hill (where I just was).  I called a bit but he had no interest in coming in.  I had to leave now, I had to get to Gianna's game.  I got my stuff off...got in my truck and went to leave.  As I approached the gate to open it, I saw two turkeys in the field to my right, just on the other side of the hedgerow.  As I pulled up and stopped, I heard him gobble at my truck ...he was mocking me!!  I got out to take a look, and sneaked (with no camo on) to the side of the dirt road in the gully, I could see him on the other side of the hedgerow but wasn't sure if it was a gobbler or a hen as he wasn't facing me.  He walked out of sight and then I saw a hen with him.  I tried to give a call but he wasn't interested, and I left...i'll get back there again this season I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment