Saturday, November 12, 2011

Opening day of Pheasant 2011

Today was a gorgeous day!  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to walk very long or "hard" but I managed to make it for the day.  Dani came along with me today.  We got to our spot and Greg was there.  After talking to him about deer hunting we got our stuff together and lined up at the road.  When 8:00 came we started in and holy crap...there were birds EVERYWHERE.  It was actually too much...too crazy too fast.  Many of the birds all went up at the same time and many were low, close and near the road or other people so it wasn't really productive.  We walked toward the back and Greg managed to get one.  After that we turned and went across the road to the hill.  While working around Bacci locked on point.  It was a tucked in hen bird and bacci was solid as a rock.  She flushed straight up and I got her.  A little while later we were working around to the big hill and I saw a bird fly into the edge of the swamp that we just came from so we went back.  We went to where I saw the bird fly in but apparently it landed and ran back across the path into the hedgerow.  Bacci went in the hedge and held point.  I couldn't get to the bird so we waited the stand off out with bacci and the bird...eventually the bird took off and both greg and I shot...I think we both him him.  We couldnt' find him right away so we went into the swampy area and while we were looking we heard bacci and some flapping wings...bacci found and subdued the bird.  All in all it was a fantastic day bird hunting.  On the way home, Dani and I did a little caching and had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment