Wednesday, November 2, 2011

$4

Well...sort of.  I took the day off of work today.  Now that my back is feeling better after getting my epidural shot, I was bound and determined to get back in the woods.  The weather was just outstanding...mid 50's to lower 60's.  Sunny and slightly breezy.  I decided to go to the recycling center.  I didn't really expect to see anything there but wanted to go someplace easy just in case I had a hard time getting in or out of the tree.  I went closer to the road than my stand and feeder.  It's been where I have seen deer crossing.  I got up the tree without a problem and sat.

Around 5:50, it was just starting to get dark and I heard some movement coming from the recycle side.  Suddenly a spike came fast walking (almost running...say trotting) by.  Followed by a doe.  I thought, "how funny, the does are chasing the bucks".  Then I thought...wait a minute...what would cause this?  I stood up because I knew what was next.  Just then, I saw 4 bucks.  The first two made their way towards me.  The first one was a small 6 point...had 4 on one side and two on the other.  The second was a 4 pointer.  I was thinking of taking the first one but he was kind of scraggly.  I thought, it was just the beginning of the rut...I just started back into the woods and I didn't see the other two in the group.  The third was a 5 pointer but one...kept just out of sight.  I was convinced he was the big boy.  Well, the 6 and the 4 stood by my stand for about 5 minutes...then walked to 30 yards and had a fight.  Then they walked away.  I never did see the last hidden one.  I climbed down, with no problems, and really enjoyed the night!  I can't wait to go out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment