Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow on the ground...

I always love hunting with fresh snow on the ground!  It snowed last night and this morning and stopped around 2:00 so I head out for the club.  I got there around 2:30 and met up with Tony.  I told him that I was planning on going to the same rock wall from last time and he told me that it would be a good strategy to sit on the hill near the dip stand.  Almost as soon as he said it a plow driver that was plowing the road to the property came up to us and said that he saw three deer run across the road and head to the hill near the dip stand.  Well, considering that's where I was going, it made my blood pump.

I walked over to the hill and sat up against a tree.  I sat there for about an hour enjoying the beauty, freezing my butt off, but really enjoying the post.  Suddenly I saw a deer about to walk in to my area from the railroad bed. She stopped at the bottom of the hill and looked up the hill.  I slowly got into position but she must have known something wasn't right.  She moved off to her right and up the hill.  As she did two other deer came in from above, near the cedars.  I looked at them in my scope, and probably could have shot at one of them but they were a little further than I would feel comfortable with so I waited in hopes that they could come in closer.  They walked up into the thickets and hung there for about 20 minutes.  I finally saw them move across the railroad bed and into the neighbors property.

I didn't see anything else for the rest of the evening but it was fantastic just to see deer again.  I'm not sure if I should have taken the shot or not...but one thing I know for sure.  I'm going back to the dip stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment