Monday, April 23, 2012

Opening Day Turkey, 2012

For the last two months it has been sunny, warm and dry.  It has felt like spring, and turkey season, for weeks. Well that was until turkey season.  Today it is cold (in the low 40's) and has been raining since yesterday.  I'm happy for that because we needed the rain, but I really didn't want it on this week!  So, knowing it was supposed to rain I went up to the club on Saturday and put up a blind in the same spot I got my bird last year.  I got to the club around 5:15 and started to get dressed.  As I was, it was just starting to get light...from what seemed like under my feet, I heard a loud cackle.  Scared the hell out of me!  I was behind the truck and peeked over to see a bird roosting in a tree, not 10 yards or so from my truck.  I stared at it wondering what to do, but then realized that it didn't look quite right.  It almost looked like a pheasant, but it couldn't be...there aren't any natural pheasants and birds haven't been stocked in months...and certainly no birds were stocked on my property.  Well, as I was staring at it, it flew out of the tree and right towards me!  It landed a few feet away from me and I asked him what he was doing there.  He looked at me and walked calmly away.  What a way to start!

I finished getting dressed and made my way into the blind.  I made some soft calls, and then as time went on...louder ones.  By around 8:00 I looked out the window to the right, where I had been expecting to see birds, and what do you know...here comes a bird.  Soaking wet and cautious it came closer to the decoy outside of my blind.  It stopped to look and then I noticed it was a hen.  It clucked and cackled a little as it made its way down towards the back of the field and eventually out of sight.   That's all I saw all day, and i certainly didn't come home with a bird, but to me it was a very successful day hunting turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment