Friday, April 27, 2012

One less turkey...

Well, there is one less turkey in the woods today!!  The weather has gotten a little warmer.  We were in the mid 40's this morning as I was waiting for the sun to rise.  There is a pretty stiff wind, however.  I got out of the truck when I got to the property and I could hear a turkey gobbling from across the road, on the far ridge.  I know I can't get there but it made my blood pump anyway.  I went to the blind with the renewed faith of hearing that bird and I sat and called.  The sun was just starting to come up and I could feel the warmth starting already.  The wind wasn't too bad...I must be protected by the trees.  I hear the occasional gobble and I occassionally yelp.  We're not talking to each other, but I want to let all possible suitors know that I'm around.  At 6:30 I notice movement coming from my right.  Just where I was expecting.  A turkey in full strut came walking cautiously to my decoy.  I held up my gun, clicked off the safety and waited for him to enter my line of sight.  It seemed like forever.  He never made a sound...I could see him all puffed up.  I peeked at his beard and then just focused on his head.  As he entered through my window of opportunity I squeezed the trigger and he fell immediately.  Barely a flop, but I came tearing out of the blind to see him.  20 paces away, there he was...  He measured 18.5 lbs, had a 9 inch beard and 7/8 inch spurs.


No comments:

Post a Comment