Saturday, September 21, 2013

I stink...

No, I mean literally!  I went to Dani's softball games this morning and then headed to the club.  The afternoon ended up a bit warmer than I was expecting but it was beautiful out.  It's the kind of weather that could put you right to sleep as you're sitting  in your stand.

I got to the club and there was no one there.  I decided to take a few practice shots with my xbow to make sure that I was spot on.  While I was doing that Jeff showed up, but apparently only to check his key.  He told me that he and Tony were not going to hunt the club until the regular season because there's some big boys on the property and they didn't want to push them off.  Well, I don't have that luxury so I'm hunting the club.  He left and I finished getting dressed with the intention of going to the dip stand.  I walked there and the stand wasn't looking all that secure.  I decided to go somewhere else and walked to the first field and up until I can find a place to tuck in.  I walked in the hedgerow on the edge of the farm road and into the next hedgerow.  It was a great little spot but by the time I settled I was sweating my arse off!  I sat and waited and finally cooled off.

At around 5:00 I slowly turned and saw some movement through the trees behind me.  It was thick but I could see a deer moving around.  I watched it for a while until I lost sight of it.  Around a half hour later I noticed a few deer across the first field, towards the swamp.  I watched them for a while and they disappeared.  What I didn't know is that they were making their way towards me.  They walked to the edge of the field but behind some thick brush.  One of them must have caught my scent and winded me.  The breeze was swirling and I sweat like a pig so I wasn't surprised.  She/he snorted and took off.

About a half hour later I heard movement behind me.  I turned slowly and saw three deer...and two of them were bucks.  I couldn't tell what the other was.  I saw the larger of the two (which I think was only a 4) did a little sparring and rubbing.  They were literally 10 yards from me.  They walked on (not sure where to) but shortly afterwards there must have been another deer behind them that caught wind of me (damn swirling wind) and started blowing.  He/she took off and it got dark.  I made my way out of my spot and into the field and noticed two deer downhill from me.  I snuck out to the left and as I did I noticed the deer walking towards where I just left.  When I got near my truck I looked through the range finder and noticed that it was one of the bucks (couldn't tell how big from that far).

Looks promising.  i think i'm going to try that spot again but with my portable stand (and hopefully not sweat my arse off getting in).

No comments:

Post a Comment