Saturday, December 7, 2013

What a day!

I started the day by going up to Flatbrook.  I met up with Greg and we decided to team up with Amil on the field.  I figured it would be a good day because when I got there, Greg was the only one in the lot and there were 4 birds in the trees.  Of course, by the time we started, the birds all flew away and the parking lot filled up.  We started down the first field and, like it's supposed to be and used to be, there were bird flushing out of the field.  We continued all the way into the back, then made our way back to the hill and once around.  When all was said and done, Greg had two birds, Amil had 4 and I had ...um, none.  lol  I was just in the wrong place each time a bird went up.  I did end up taking one of Amil's birds though.

Once we were done bird hunting I went home, ate something and then headed up to the club.  Greg said that he was going up as well.  He planned on being in 10.  He told me about a stand in the middle of the field behind the pit, on the way to the river.  I had never seen it before so I took a walk back.  It was a great area, that's were all the deer are going that I had been seeing from 13.  I went half way up the stand and it felt a little old, plus there was a big branch where I would need to draw the bow.  I went down and made my way over to 13.  It was a beautiful sit...chilly and sunny.  I kept looking around and didn't expect anything to come by.  I was really hoping to see deer walk from the brush, over the path so that the next time I'm on the hill with my gun i could have a shot.  At around 4:00 I saw a nice doe walk into the path.  Instead of her crossing over, she actually meandered down towards me.  She didn't come all the way in front of me but went into the brush to my left.  It was a 25 yard shot, I lined up the scope and squeezed the trigger.  I could see the arrow sticking out of her shoulder area and she disappeared across the path and up the brush.  I got down a few minutes later and found my arrow in half.  There was hardly any blood.  It was hard to track her, in fact, I got on my hands and knees to track her all the way up the hill.  One drop of blood at a time.  I have to get new broadheads.  This is the second deer I took with the ones I'm using and I hate them.  She went 100+ yards, maybe closer to 150 and I was on my knees the whole time.  I found her, that was hard enough...then I had to drag her back down, on my knees backwards.  I finally did make it back out to the pit, exhausted, cut up but I finally got a deer!

No comments:

Post a Comment