Friday, September 19, 2014

Covered in stuff....

I took the afternoon off of work.  Considering the bust that was opening day I wanted to get back into the woods.  I decided to try the "farm road" between the first field and the upper field.  It was a beautiful day.  Slightly warm but not too bad.  I went down the farm road and hopped up into the tree.  I didn't realize how "open" I would feel in the tree but hopefully it would be ok because it was a bigger tree.

I got in the tree around 2:00 and by about 4:30 I saw a flock of turkeys in the first field.  They were feeding all over the place...even came to within 10 yards of me.  I could hear them clucking and purring.  It was cool.  As it was getting darker, perhaps around 6:30, I saw 4 deer near stand 4.  They slowly worked their way towards me.  A small doe, clearly a fawn or yearling at best, was ahead of the group.  She came to within 15 yards and presented a broadside target.  It would have been an easy shot but I decided, because i would have to bring this one to a butcher (Grandma's stuff was taking over my garage so i couldn't butcher it myself), that I would wait for the biggest one to come to me.  She, however, stopped 80 yards from me and started stomping her foot and snorting.  I am assuming that she caught wind of me...the wind was swirling and i did work up a sweat getting into the tree.  Either that or she saw me.  As she carried on stomping and snorting the one that was in front of me looked back and started to slowly walk back to the group.  The group by this point had taken off and she slowly walked back across the field.   I got out of the tree at dark and that was my day.

Perhaps I'll wish I took that shot as the season goes on but for now I'm ok with holding back.

No comments:

Post a Comment