Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Why didn't I do it when I had the chance.

I took the afternoon off to go hunting at the club again.  After missing the day on Saturday I needed to get back out.  I decided to try stand 13 and made my way there.  I climbed the tree and noticed that it had grown in so much there wasn't a good shooting lane.  I couldn't trim it out then so I decided to go sit on the hillside instead.  I thought it was cool out but by the time I was walking back from the tree I was sweating my butt off.  I got settled in and waited.  It was a nice spot but I learned that sitting, without having my back supported by a tree, is painful.  Anyway...I hadn't seen a thing but a fox but by 6:30, I made out some movement coming from my left.  I put up my bow and saw that it was a buck.  A 7-point buck.  Why didn't I take that doe the last time I was at the club!  Then I could have shot the buck...instead I had to watch him walk away.  Which, by the way, didn't take long because he must have caught my scent from walking back from the tree.  He knew something was up and he stepped back into the autumn olive.  I found it strange because the wind was blowing in my face.  I guess I laid down scent on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment