Monday, April 14, 2008

Day one, turkey

Place: The Club
Weather: Clear and chilly

Well...day one for turkey winds down. I set up at first light over near the Cadillac stand. I heard gobbling and think I saw a bird fly off the roost on the other side of the gully from where I was set up. Although I did hear gobbles while on the roost, once they flew down I didn't hear anything else. I left there and went to the other side of the property. When I went over near the sign in board I saw Bob in the first field. I stopped to talk to him and he had shot at a bird. He didn't get it though. I did hear a few more gobbles and set up in the field he was just in. Nothing happened so I moved from there and went across the road to "bob's feeder". Nothing there at all and I worked around up near that feeder and upwards to the field that connects to cadillac. Nothing. Went down to the top of the road and set up. I heard a few gobbling down from the first field (or near there). I snuck downwards towards that field and got to the top of the woods that are connected to the field. I set up and would hear intermittent gobbling back to my calls. Then they went silent. I waited and called for another half hour but nothing happened. I went to get my decoy and there were two birds coming up the pathway. I spooked them and they left into the brush. I sat for another 20 minutes or so but they didn't come back. I saw them heading towards the cemetary from the field I was in (just on the other side). Disgusted I came out and saw that there was another truck in the parking spot. I drove over to the Cadillac again but heard Jeff calling so I left. I sat in the big field again but saw nothing. I saw Jeff coming out so we chatted...he saw a few birds...two jakes and two long beards but he didn't get anything. I left, it was around 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment