Saturday, December 4, 2010

He's just not listening anymore...

I don't know what happened or when it happened but Bacci has just decided that he didn't need to listen to me anymore. This is the second week in a row that Bacci just runs and runs and doesn't listen to me. When I went quail hunting with Danny he listened like a champion, but not anymore. I went to Flatbrook with Greg yesterday. We started on the left edge of the field this time to try and avoid the crowd. It was a good choice because we weren't being pushed and as luck would have it, Bacci went on point immediately on entering the field. He held until we were able to get set and then a hen exploded from the field. Greg and I both shot simultaneously which, at it's close distance, was not the best thing to do...I guess that's a stir-fry bird. We continued into the field. I realized that I had forgotten my whistle in the truck. So we continued on to the end of the field and doubled back to the hill. That's where Bacci proceeded to run wild. He flushed two birds on the hill in his craziness. We worked around the hillside and towards the parking area so I could get my whistle. We worked the hillside and then went to the mountain...again working the hillside and again Bacci ran crazy. He flushed another bird. At this point I wasn't having fun. We went across the street and worked that for a bit...back to the truck and had a drink. It has been two hours now and things have pretty much calmed down. Greg and I went back out to work the river and Bacci decided to be a good listener. He worked close and I started enjoying it again. We worked the river and then hopped to the other side to work the swamp. Working our way to the edge of the swamp Bacci went on point...he held while Greg made his way to him. As Greg got closer the bird flushed. It was a hen and there were trees in between me and her and trees in between Greg and her. We both managed to get a few shots off but with little hope of hitting her. I saw where she came down so we tried to follow her and hunt her again. We made our way to the edge of the swamp and then into the field. We worked the field and couldn't find her. As we were about to go back into the swamp, Bacci went on point. We got close and the bird tried to fly and couldn't. Bacci pounced on her. Apparently we had hit her and broke her wing. A great ending to a somewhat crappy beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment