Sunday, November 9, 2014

Buck Down!! (and opening day of pheasant)

Today would be a full day of hunting for me!  I started by going up to Flatbrook for opening day of pheasant.  I met Greg in a very crowded parking lot and because everyone was lining up early, so did we...about 45 minutes early!  We went to the far edge of the first big field  and there were a bunch of birds at the end cackling, flying around and basically just making a lot of noise.  That drew everyone to that field to line up.   Just as the time started, Greg and i made a split second decision to turn around and go up the hill.  There were a few guys going up that way but not many.  We made worked around the top for a bit and I finally came up to a bird tucked under a tree in our favorite corner.  I waited for guys to walk by and tried to flush the bird.  Instead, he just ran.  I didn't shoot.  We walked around where the bird ran to and I found it under a blowdown.  It flew but because my gloves were too big and my hands too cold I couldn't get my finger in the trigger guard and by the time I did, the bird was just about out of range.  We walked to the river side of the field and Greg got one flying across the river.  Then, as we were packing it in, we heard one in the field.  By this time most everyone was gone so we ran back into the field.  We saw it running up the hedgerow and Greg got inside.  I went to the end near the road and we managed to get it to flush.  I shot and it went down.  I went in to retrieve it and it decided to take off again, right to me and over the road.  Greg shot once but, although we could have taken another, it was over the road and didn't want to risk it.

Then I headed up to the club.  I went to stand 13 and sat wondering how badly I smelled from sweating during bird hunting.  I did see some does way out across the field.  Two of them looked like they actually got spooked by me.  They were about 150 yards away.  Then another walked from the top and by the time it got about 125 yards looked like it also got spooked.  I think that's the way the wind was blowing so I guess maybe I did smell.  At 4:00, I happen to look to my left and where I saw that spike rubbing a tree the other day was a nice 8 pointer!  It all happened pretty fast from here.  I put up the crossbow and looked through the sight but the weeds were pretty high.  The buck stepped into the road and walked towards the field.  When it was in front of me, at 25 yards, I made a noise and he stopped.  Just long enough for me to squeeze the trigger and let the bolt fly.  He ran off and i couldn't wait so I got down and found blood and my arrow soaked in blood.  I shook as I texted Danny to let him know.  Not a giant, but my biggest to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment