Saturday, November 15, 2014

My dreams come true...

Yeah, that's not necessarily a good thing!  Not sure if I've mentioned this here or not but I've always had this recurring dream that I am going hunting and when I get into the woods I realize that I forgot my bow, gun or whatever.  Well, it finally happened.  I left the house at around 5am to get up to Flatbrook to do some bird hunting.  It takes about an hour and 10 minutes to get there and when I was about 5 minutes away I suddenly realized that I had forgotten my gun.  I called home and checked with Jeannie and she did confirm that it was sitting in my garage so I turned around and home I went.  An hour later I arrive at home.  By this time, it's "first light" and the massive crowds have descended upon Flatbrook.  I could have stayed local but I decided to drive the hour and 10 up to Flatbrook again so at least I could know the woods that I'm walking around in.

I got to Flatbrook about an hour "late" and proceeded up the hill.  I walked around and it was nice and peaceful.  Most of the crazies had already gone home.  As I was walking from "the log" to the bottom, I saw a bird fly in from the road's side of the hill.  I immediately headed over that way.  When I did,  I heard and then saw a cockbird running into the hedgerow.  I tried to get it up but it seemed like it didn't want to fly.  As I was trying to get it out, two guys, their girlfriends and their dogs came over to lend a hand.  I eventually got the bird to show itself long enough for me to grab hold of it.  The guys came over to introduce themselves and they couldn't be nicer.  We talked for a while, one guy texted his number to me in case I wanted to hunt with them again and I left.  I walked through the swamps, to the back corner and back again.  It was a glorious day and I loved ever second of it.  I did end up meeting up with Greg and Amil and they seemed to have hit a true honey hole.  They had LOTS of birds and gave me one.  I had two now and headed home, very satisfied...despite coming up late.

No comments:

Post a Comment