Saturday, November 7, 2015

What an opening day!

So today was opening day of pheasant and, like always, I went up to Flatbrook.  It was the usually super-crowded.  When I got there and started my hellos to everyone, there were birds talking and flying everywhere.  It was almost comical. We lined up on the field and at starting time, Greg, Me, Amil and Mike (Amil's son) started down the field.  There were shots all over.  When we got to the end of the field, the sky filled with birds and shots.  It was nuts...but surprisingly it was not scary and was fun.  I ended up with one bird out of the field. We continued on down the fields and then up the hill.  We picked up a bird at the top of the hill.  We made our way across the hill and found a bear cub at the base of a tree, probably scared out of its mind.  We continued to the honey hole and by the time we got there it was about an hour and a half after first shooting.  We still managed to see 12 birds in the hole.  I got a chance at a double and got one of the birds.  Then we headed back to the trucks.  We got back to the trucks around noon and it was time for me to head out to deer hunt.

I went behind my company and met Brueder on the way in.  He told me that there are a bunch of guys that go back there.  I went "around the corner" from him and others.  It was a really comfortable post and at around 4:00 I had three bucks walking around me.  A spike, a fork and one with three points on one side and nothing on the other.  The last one spend some time walking around me and staring at me.  Probably was around me for a half hour.  I did see a doe walking about 50 yards away but the lopsided buck chased her and she ran away.

A great day hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment