Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Saw lots, but...

Date: 10/2/07
Season: Deer - Bow
Location: Hunting Club
Conditions: Partly sunny, warm in the afternoon, cooling. Slight breeze
Summary: I sat only for night post. I first started off by going into the swamp stand. It is tiny and there is really no room to shoot…so I got out of the stand and walked to the place where I got the deer last year. I did see some runs going to the stand from the upper field and coming out of the hedgerow on the bottom field. Perhaps I’ll try that some time. I went over to my regular stand (13) and got in the tree about 2:30. At around 4:00 I had 7 turkeys come by the old 13 stand and work towards the pit…then up the hill. They went around behind me (almost right under me) and into the field that I was facing. All in all they were there for about an hour. They kept clucking and purring. At around 5 I had a huge ground hog come under my stand. I watched him for a while before he left. At around 6:15 I had a buck come in right behind me in the woods. I panicked a little bit, but managed to stand up on the stand (not easy) and turn myself around. I couldn’t see him anymore, but did see another buck in the field up top. The one in the woods apparently left and went up with the other one and they walked towards the trees. I gave a bleat call to try and turn them, but it only worked temporarily. Then they left. I may try the “across from the swamp stand” on Saturday, or I may go back to 13….not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment