Saturday, October 20, 2007

Wrong place at the wrong time.

Date: 10/20/07
Season: Deer - Bow
Location: Hunting Club
Conditions: Mostly sunny and breezy.
Summary: I was the only guy there again tonight. I went to Gianna’s softball playoffs in the morning and got to the club around 2:00. I napped until almost 3 and then got my stand ready to go. I went to the old number 5 this time because I saw deer coming from there on Thursday. It was a nice post (my stand is so comfortable) and at around 4:45 I saw my turkeys feeding on the swamp stand feeder. At around 6ish, I saw a deer feeding at the Big Feeder stand (figures, right?) and a little later on I saw a deer feeding at the swamp stand. It was starting to get dark and I was starting to get frustrated seeing deer at the feeders and I wasn’t at the feeders. It was almost time for me to leave the stand and I figured I would give a grunt to try to draw in the deer at the swamp. A few minutes later, two bucks came from out of the upper field…not from the pathway that I thought the deer would come from, but from out of the small trees. I was standing and my grunt tube was tied to the stand so I couldn’t get to it, but they were just standing there feeding…about 50 yards away. I burped a few times hoping to sound like a grunt but they didn’t come any closer…finally it got so dark I couldn’t see my pins anymore. I tried to make noise without moving to get the deer to leave and then I lowered my bow and rattle the tree. By the time I was coming down the tree it was too dark for me to see if they were even there anymore or not. Now…I have one more day to hunt with the bow and I’m not sure whether to go to the big feeder or to move my climber between where I saw those bucks and where I got my deer from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment