Friday, October 17, 2008

Cub Scouts,broken bow and a man with a dog!!

When: Friday, October 17, 2008
Where: Behind the community pool
Weather: Sunny, cool and beautiful!
Time: 2:30-7:00

This was the first time that I decided to try behind the community pool. The weather was outstanding. I got there and put my stand up...shimmied up the tree. As I was getting set I nocked an arrow and it felt strange...it wouldn't fit on the rest. I looked and saw that the cable guard had snapped. The arrow wouldn't clear the cable! I sat down, disgusted and tried to figure this out. I decided that I would try my field tipped arrow...it flew semi-straight and decided that I would stay but only shoot at a nice buck and only if he was close. Around 4:00 I heard a noise to my right...I looked over and saw two little kids walking towards me. One chinese boy and one white girl. The girl was holding a bag...apparently they were picking up trash. I sat there and watched and as they got directly under my tree the girl noticed me and said surprised "oh, a man!". I started to chuckle. The boy said, "you huntin?" I said, "yup, you picking up trash?", he said "yup". I told them that they were doing a good job and they walked away. Shortly after they left I heard more of a commotion coming from the same area. I looked over and saw 3 mom's and about 10 kids. As they got closer one of the boys got stuck in the muck beneath my stand. He started to cry saying that he was scared, and one of the mom's tried to coax him out, yelling at him to take off his shoes. As this was going on the other part of the group walked under my stand. One of the mom's looked up and saw me and, as expected, I startled her too. She got the attention of all the kids and said "I don't want you to be afraid but there is a man in that tree over there....watching the woods". She explained to me that they were a cub scout troup. They stood around for a little while cleaning off the kid that was stuck (they finally got him out). While they did, the other kids couldn't stop staring at me...finally, as they were about to leave, one of them said "is Mr. Wilderness real?" The mom said yes and they walked off. Of course, I laughed about that all night. The woods started to finally quiet down, and about 6:15, when it was starting to get dark I saw two deer running from up on the hilltop. Didn't know why, though they had somehow seen me...shortly thereafter a man, smoking, was walking his dog. I watched as the dog walked under my stand, lifted his leg and took a leak and ran off. So much for this night...at least it was interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment