Saturday, December 20, 2008

What a great snowy day!!!

Went bird hunting at Berkshire Valley today. It snowed yesterday and left 6-8 inches of snow. I headed out to BV because I didn't want to have to drive up to Flatbrook with the roads being cruddy. I pulled into the parking lot and could barely beleive that there were only two other cars there. There ended up having two more cars...but there were hardly anyone there. I started out and within the first few minutes Bacci went on point. He held for a long time until I got there and when I did there was a hen in some brush. She struggled to get out and when she broke over the field she never flew more than a few feet off the ground. I didn't shoot because Bacci was in hot pursuit. The dog disappeared...I called for him and a few minutes later he came back with the bird! One for Bacci!! We worked around a bit and as I went up the hill I caught the tracks of a bird. I followed for a bit and saw the cockbird on the hill. As we approached he took off and I got him. I started to walk out of the woods and some guy on top of the hill shot at a cockbird and missed. He called to me as it flew over my head but I already had two. I told him that I did and he said he ran out of shells. I told him that he could have one of my birds so I can still hunt and he took one. I looked for the cockbird and couldn't find him...I started to walk towards the car and when I went into the woods I saw some tracks. About a minute later a cockbird took off and I got him...I went back to the car. I talked to the guy that I gave the bird to, his name is Kevin. We cleaned the birds and I found out why the hen that I gave him didn't fly high...she was carrying eggs! As he cut her open, she started leaking all over the place and three soft shelled eggs popped out! I've never seen that before. All in all, a great day pheasant hunting. I have the birds marinating right now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment