Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Finally!!

Went out behind the Recycle Center today. It was only in the high 50's, low 60's and overcast. The wind was blowing pretty strong. I settled in around 2:45. I think I climbed too high because I was feeling really uneasy. So much so that after about an hour of sitting I had to lower myself down a bit. It was literally a foot but made me feel better. Strange, I know. At 5:00, without notice, boom...there were two deer at my stand. They were small but I really wanted to get a deer. So I stood up, drew back and the first deer gave me a clear shot at about 18 yards. I remembered to hold lower this time and I let it fly. Well, it was the perfect hight...just further back than I would like (hence, I still suck). The deer walked away, but not far. I saw it lay down. I thought, game over! But I watched it through my binos...and even though I saw the blood coming out of the entrance wound, it was still alive. After about 25 minutes, I the deer get up and try to walk...the guts were hanging out...so even though it was back, the exit was down through the belly and the guts followed the arrow out. How was he still alive?! I got my stuff together and came down the tree after about 45 minutes. I got my arrow and saw that he was still alive so I walked over to the deer and put the original arrow through his heart. I left to bring my stuff to the truck then came back to get the deer. When I started to field dress him, I noticed it was a button...damn! I brought him home and butchered him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment