Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's a hot, sticky night...

After sitting at softball today I decided to head out to the woods.  It's hot, damp, sticky and i just KNOW it's going to be buggy.  I decided that I wanted to sit behind my company because I'll have the thermacell cranking and I didn't want to mess up the other spot.  I drove to work, got dressed in the lot and then drove around to where I would park.  I noticed that there was a guy up the tree in the corner...I didn't want to mess him up so I decided to move to another spot.  Back to the dump.  Instead of going all the way in, however, I wanted to try a little closer.  That's where I've been seeing all the deer go.  I found a tree and started to climb.  I also started to sweat...profusely.  I got up and just as I hit the top, bang, I dropped my thermacell.  I may be able to make it with dropping some things, but tonight, the thermacell isn't one of them.  Down I go.  I got it and climbed again.  Now I'm sweating so much...and the skeeters and attacking me.  As soon as I settled I put on the the thermacell.  That thing is great...it sure kept the bugs at bay.    Once I did get up I realized that I was in a gully, so even though I climbed up about 15 feet, I was a lot lower on the high sides of the hills surrounding me.  I could move, but that would require me to get down and up again...no way!

I sat for a while and saw nothing.   As i scanned the woods my right eye kept twitching.  It's hard to look around the woods with a twitching eye!  Then, just about at dusk, a doe and fawn (same one from last week) came walking in the woods from the field/path headed right towards me.  I couldn't move too much because they were looking right in my direction and from where they were, I was hardly off the ground.  I was unsure whether or not I would even shoot because she had her baby with her.  She is limping since last week...so maybe.  They walk to my right and the only broadside shot that she presented me was with the "yard" on the other side of her.  That made me uncomfortable to take that shot.  Then she walked behind me and gone.  I wasn't really set up for the shot anyway (she was walking with purpose, not just meandering).  Could I have made a shot?  Maybe...but I'm glad on this hot, sticky, buggy day to not take a risk at shooting in an unsafe direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment