Saturday, December 29, 2012

Last day of pheasant

Well, today is the last day for pheasant hunting.  It has recently snowed (Thursday) so there is a few inches on the ground and it's been iced over so it's a challenging walk.  It's also pretty chilly out.  Bacci isn't his usual self today.  Wasn't as excited as I was getting my stuff together...think he's getting old.  Who isn't I suppose.

Show up at the parking lot and there wasn't much room to park.  Even though, it didn't seem like a lot of guys.  Perhaps the snow cut down on the space.  Met up with Greg and Amil.  We started on the field side and Greg and I went down the middle.  Amil came around our backside and as he passed the point he flushed 4 birds!!  The funniest part was that we just all watched them.  I think all three of us were watching the one bird that crossed in front of us.  It was a little low so no one shot but it landed and then took off right away and when it did, Greg shot him.  The others flew into the point at the end of the field so we went down there to find them.  We ended up putting up two birds, one Amil got and one Greg and I missed on.  We walked into the second field.  I went into the edge and Greg stayed up on the pipeline.  Didn't put anything out of there but as we worked down toward the end, Bacci put up two cock-birds   They were too far for me to get a shot at because I didn't really walk that far.  The Yahoo and his buddies were closing in on the area so we didn't really pursue.  We walked back on the field to head to the hill.  Once we got up the hill we immediately found a hen under a tree.  She saw us and took off, I got her.  We turned and walked towards the river and another bird came busting out of the trees.  I shot twice and hit her, but she went all the way into the field.  After retrieving her, we went back to the truck.  We rested for a bit and then went up the hill again.  We ended up chasing a hen but she must have flown off because we couldn't find her at all.  We put up a few more birds, out of range or after we got our two.  All in all it was a very fun last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment