Saturday, October 5, 2013

Face to face

I went to the club today.  I was the only one there, and probably because it was too damned hot to hunt deer.  It was in the mid 80's and in the sun it was downright scorching.  I had planned on taking my stand on going up a tree on the old farm road a little further down the field from where I had been sitting.  That's where I've been seeing deer.  When I got to the club I walked the road looking for a tree to climb and there was nothing...well nothing near where I wanted to be.  So, instead, I saw a cutout from the farm road to the field and I saw that I could sit up against a tree, about 15 yards back from the field, so that's what I did.  It was still so hot...bugs, flies, sweat...it was not very comfortable.  As the afternoon faded, the weather became a little more tolerable and at about 5:30 I saw three deer enter the field.  To my surprise, they came from my right (and I don't know where they could have come in the field from?).  I watched them for a bit and noticed that they started to come closer.  Then, suddenly, I heard one of them start to snort.  They must have winded me from all that damned sweat.  They weren't sure what was going on but they knew something was going on.  That didn't stop them, however.  One of them walked from the field, straight at me.  She looked at me from the field and knew something wasn't right but couldn't figure it out so she walked right to me.  She got to about 15 yards (if not closer) and just looked at me.  She never turned broadside and then suddenly, she turned (the wrong way) and walked away and joined her friends who had just decided to move along.  I stayed until it was dark and left without seeing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment