Saturday, November 24, 2007

I've never seen it so crowded!!

Date: 11/24/07
Season: Pheasant
Location: Flatbrook
Conditions: Cold and sunny.
Summary: Holy crap was it crowded! There were more guys there than I remember seeing in a long long time. Well, we started off through the first field and got nothing. Didn’t really see much fly overs either. We got to the end of the first field and Bacci ran into the island. I called him out and just as he was about to leave the island, I looked and saw a guy level his gun pointing to the ground. I started to scream that “my f’ing dog is in there”. He responded with “I know”. I than said something like you’re a f’ing idiot and Greg and I got out of there. We walked to the next field…then down the side of the river. When we got to the “hold over spot” Bacci put out a cockbird and Greg shot it (before I could even get a shot off). We walked from there, into the swamp but it was too wet, we messed around working the fields and hedgerows all the way back to the right of the first field. We were going to cross the road and Greg stopped to talk to some guy that he knew and Bacci started messing around with the hedgerow next to the road. I told him that it was just the carcasses that hunters threw out, but just then, a bird took off. I looked and couldn’t find it…I called to some guys in the road if they saw it, they hadn’t. So I went down the hedgerow. There were some guys coming the other way and they ended up putting up the bird and getting it…just after that they had another come out of the field. As I watched that happen, Bacci kicked up a cockbird from the hedgerow. I heard it try to take off but it never did. Bacci worked at getting it again, just then Caroline’s owner (nicky I think) came by and his dogs helped Bacci…but they didn’t get it. As we were messing around with that, a bird soared over our heads and landed in the first field. Greg and I went after it, but there were a bunch of other guys there. We lined up with them to work the field. It came out at the point, Greg and I both shot (but it was way far for me) and we both missed. Across the road to the hill. We messed around there, and to the mountain and back but nothing. We did have a great day though (after the crowds were gone).

No comments:

Post a Comment