Thursday, November 5, 2009

The ATV guy...

Well, I went out today to a new spot. I wasn't seeing anything at my usual places so I wanted to try "the tower". I headed out on a beautiful afternoon...it was in the mid fifties and mostly cloudy. It was calling for a 40% chance of rain later in the day, but when I headed out it was sunny. I pulled up and started to get dressed. From the corner of my eye I saw something on the side of the road in the woods. It was a small buck...just slowly walking. I continued to get dressed (what else could I do?) I got to my spot and settled in. It was just beautiful and I really just enjoyed being there. By 4:00, I saw a deer coming down the hill towards me. When it was behind a tree I drew back and waited. Then I saw that it was a little spike...the spikes were really tall and really skinny. I let down and watched him walk 10 yards away from my stand. At around 4:30 another deer walked down the same path...but instead of coming towards me, he veered away towards the tower. He was only a fork, at best. He was messing around for a while and then took off up the hill. I thought I spooked him, but when I looked to where he had been, I saw a guy (black guy with a white hoodie) walking through the woods near the road. Grrr....

I waited because now it was getting good. I was expecting to see the big boy any moment. Then, I heard an ATV...it's coming my way!! Are you kidding me?! He rode up the hill from me and I put up my hands in disgust. Then he rode towards me and asked me "who the F are you". We had some words back and forth, me being very calm and professional. He asked finally how i came to hunt in the cull...I told him I was friends with Det. Ed and his entire mood changed. He apologized up and down, invited me to his house, told me about all the stands that were there and told me to hunt the ones that he put up. So...the hunt ruined, I got down and left. Strange place this Morris Plains is.

No comments:

Post a Comment