Monday, November 16, 2009

What a day!!

I went to the tower today. It was a beautiful day!! Although it was probably warmer than I would have liked for the rut, it was supposed to get to 60 and it was sunny. I got into the woods at 10am, roamed around a bit to find a spot. I wanted to be up the hill from where I was last time. I saw that some guy had a feeder up there...so I tried to get in between the feeder and the apartments. The woods are beautiful up there...and fairly big...I think it's the biggest piece that I could hunt. So anyway, at 12:00, a doe came walking from the top of the hill down towards the feeder. She was really spooky though. She was about 65 yards from me. Soon after that, some Mexican guy came walking through the woods with a golf club. He walked right under my stand. When he got to the top of the hill he swung his club a few times and then left. (don't ask!?)

At 1:45 I had another doe come from the bottom this time and walk up the hill. She was about 85 yards from me. Then at 2:15 I heard the ATV. I couldn't believe that I was going to have to deal with this again. Instead, it was some guy (I'll assume that other guy's kid) and he was going hunting. He drove his ATV right under my stand and didn't see me. He parked it 80 yards away, got off and left for his stand. I thought that my night was screwed for sure. At around 4:00, I heard a commotion. I grabbed my bow and I saw, coming from the top of the hill, a doe being chased by two bucks. The first was a small four and the other was a really nice wide six (at least). The six would chase the doe and then chase away the four. This happened as they worked down the hill towards me. Then the doe walked under my stand...which of course brought in the bucks. The six walked straight towards me...all he needs to do is take a step and stop broadside...he did...RIGHT BEHIND A TREE!! I had drawn back and couldn't do a thing. He was literally right under my stand. Then all of a sudden he took off chasing the doe again. I tried to stop him but he wasn't interested. They circled my tree and I turned myself around. He stopped again, right behind my tree. I couldn't get the angle on him. In my attempt to draw and try and get an angle for the shot the four saw me moving and they all took off down the hill. I tried grunting to stop them but to no avail.

After that excitement, a few moments later, I had that little pencil spiker walk right under my stand. He stood there and looked at me for a while and then stomped back up the hill. Then I had a doe come down the hill towards the apartments...she stayed about 60 yards away. Then it got dark. That was probably one of the most exciting days I've spent deer hunting. Of course, I'm SICK over not being able to get the shot on the wide six. He was a dandy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment