Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grand Central Station...

I took off the afternoon today so that I can get back in the woods and take advantage of this spectacular weather.  It is clear and in the low 70's.  I was going to try a new spot, off of Briarcliff...but from now on I'll call it Grand Central.  Remember that I am hunting in a spot that is part of a cull program.  I set up in my tree at around 3:30.  It wasn't long after when I heard noise coming from behind me.  I turned to see someone riding a bike through the woods on the path.  No problem, he didn't ever see me.  A little while later I woman with two teenagers came walking down the same path.  When they passed me, the woman looked up and saw me and I waved.  She was startled so I said that I was sorry if I scared her.  She said that I did and then asked me not to shoot her.  (did she really just say that?) I promised her that I wouldn't and they walked on.  Not too much after that, I heard a bunch of boys somewhere behind my stand.  I turned and could vaguely see them...must have been 5 or so boys.  They did something, not sure what, for a while and then left.  Finally, a woman came walking behind me walking her two dogs...she stopped when she got even with my stand and then walked away.  There is no way in hell I'm going to see any deer!!

Around 6:00, i see movement coming from the top of the hill.  A turkey walks out from the hedgerow...putting...walks a circle and goes back to where it came from, putting the whole way.  What the hell?  I think I found what spooked it...a 4 point buck walks from the same uphill hedgerow and walks to within 20 yards of me.  I could have easily shot him.  I let him walk and just enjoy seeing him.  At around 7:00 I hear some movement from behind me.  As I slowly turned, I could see a doe, has to be 10 yards away from my tree, trying to make me out.  I froze and didn't move.  I am turned and could see her in my peripheral vision but I don't want to move to get my bow, and even if I did I couldn't turn to shoot.  After a few agonizing minutes, she walked around my tree.  That was my opportunity to get my bow.  There is a tree behind mine that is full of leaves so she couldn't see me.  If I could get my bow and she walk around the tree, I could have an easy chip shot.  She walked away instead.  I sat until it got dark.  As I made my way down the tree, a doe...I assume the same one...was in the path, watching me.  I froze again...in mid-squat.  I sat there until she walked away.  I gave her a few more minutes to leave...now it's dark.  I get to the bottom of the tree and I heard her snort...dang!    I made my way to my truck...what a beautiful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment