Saturday, September 29, 2012

Party time

Today was the first day of statewide bow hunting. Not that it affected me any differently, but I could now shoot a buck or a doe (if I went to the club).  In the cull, I still need to get two does before I can get a buck. I went to Briar today after Dani's softball games.  I got to the woods around 4:15, which was a little later than I would have liked but Jeannie was going to her Dad's so I had to stay with Dani and drop her off at home after the games.  When I pulled up to the spot I noticed a lot of cars on the street.  As it turns out, a house that was a few down the block was having a party.  Well, the entire time I was in the tree I heard this party.  I knew that it wouldn't bother the deer, but as is the case with cull programs, I was worried that if I did shoot a deer, it would run to the house and die in the middle of the party.  Not a great advertisement for hunting.

I convinced myself that I would only shoot a deer if it was walking in a direction that I felt it would run away from the party and not towards it.  As the day wore on, the dog walking lady from the last time came back.  She, and one other couple walking, were the only interruptions.  As 5:30 came around, a doe (or quite possibly a small button) came walking directly into my tree.  She kept a tree in between her and I for the whole time.  She stopped and looked up at me...and then ran under my tree and stopped to look back and then trotted off.  She wasn't snorting, so she knew that I was something, but wasn't sure what.  That was the only excitement for the night.  I feel a few days off of work coming on so I can spend more time in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment