Friday, September 14, 2012

Up to my eyeballs in bucks!

I decided that I wanted to leave work early today and get some woods time in.  It is a beautiful day, although a bit warm, but I know that I'm not going to be able to hunt tomorrow because Dani has a softball game and we're going to a party for Cindy.  It's her "good bye leg" party.  So I wanted to sit behind the dump today.  I left work at 3:30 and got in the woods around 4:10.  I was a bit sweaty when I got into the tree, but there was a little breeze to cool me off.  All was quiet until 4:45 when I saw a deer walking from "down the hill". I stood up and got ready only to see that it was a spike.  The spikes were tall and thin.  I could barely even tell it was a buck.  At 5:15, a deer walked from the field to my right, and down the hill.  I thought it was the same spike, but it was a different one with thicker horns.  Shortly after that, the original spike walked the same route.  It was about 10 minutes later when I noticed movement in the field again.  This time, I can see without a doubt that I was looking at a buck.  He was a nice, heavy horned 6 pointer.  He passed from the field and stopped at the tree that I ranged at 22 yards.  Stood there broadside.  I was shaking but still didn't have my doe.  He walked away down the hill.  A few minutes later, another buck.  This one had four points on one side and I couldn't quite make out the other side.  The rack was thinner, but still respectable.  He walked down the hill and away.  Two others came from the field and darted off...they actually went towards the apartments.  They seemed a little spooked but I can't tell what spooked them.

I waited until dark and it was time to get down.  I climbed down, happy in the fun, action filled night that I had.  I got to the bottom and wrapped up my stand and out of the corner of my eye I saw movement on the path.  It was a doe (I think)...but she was close.  20 yards away.  It was dark and I can't shoot from the ground anyway(not that I had my bow in my hand).  I "hid" behind my stand so I didn't spook the deer and as it walked by, in an attempt to scare it away and not get busted, I threw a stick near it.  Instead of running off it stood there looking at me.  Well that backfired.  I threw another stick...and then another.  I hid my movement behind the stand but instead of scaring it, she walked in the woods near me.  I squatted behind my stand as she walked away.  I got my bow, stand and tried to squat-walk out of the woods.  I didn't hear her snort so I think I managed to get out without spooking her.  What a fun day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment